I bought some of that liquid rubber used to coat the handles of tools… So basically I coated the bottom along with the bottom edge of the sculpture, hiding the discoloration and also preventing table tops from getting scratched.
Now on to the next one.
Here is the finished “The Empress” sculpture, glazed with Robin’s Egg glaze and fired to cone 6. The one thing that I’m going to do is brainstorm ways to cover up the white patch near the base in the front. I used Bisque-Fix to patch a crack, and it was a different color than the clay, so it’s visible. I’m sure it doesn’t bother most, but it bothers me. I’m thinking maybe a black paint or something to cover the base, and i’d bring it up the sides to cover the white while i’m at it.
Here are two videos, the first shows me throwing a medium sized bowl. It’s not the most exciting. I’m sure any pottery expert would tell you i was doing it wrong, but I would say that I’m getting the job done. The second video shows how I turn the round bowl shape into the heart shape. After that I have a stamp that says “There’s no place like home” that I push into the slightly dried clay. I thought maybe to target realtors who just closed on a house with their client and want to give them a house warming gift, or for simple thank you or housewarming gifts. If you know any realtors, let em know. I made 10 of them. they’ll be on the Etsy shop if they come out good. I will still need to trim the bottoms, bisque fire them, glaze them, and then fire them again. Long process, but worth it.
I’ll try not to get drunk like I did while I was making the last batch. Maybe that’s why it came out nice though. This time, for the heart bowls, I got some pink, purple, and “rhubarb” colored glaze for the Valentine’s day theme. Finger’s crossed again:
At this point I turned it upside down to apply the wax-resist, so the glaze won’t stick to the bottom of the shelf in the kiln.
Now I’m finally comfortable setting up an Etsy shop. So here it is:
I Bisqued a LOT of pieces yesterday:
I was lucky when I opened the kiln that nothing broke. I went to Trinity Ceramic Supply and picked up a powder form of a Blue Opal Glaze, as well as some Wax Resist – a waxy liquid you paint on the foot to prevent glaze from sticking:
Glaze in powder form is often dangerous to inhale, so I also picked up a respirator mask and gloves:
I added the powder to some water in the garage and mixed it. Then brought the bucket inside to do some dipping:
I’m hoping to get a more even coat this way. And after talking to the guy at the pottery supply shop, I decided to fire to cone 6, with a 10 minute hold. I’m hoping this will result in some “float” – glaze movement.
We’ll see. the kiln is going now and will be ready to open tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed.
I thought it’d be nice to add something extra to the heart bowls… So, I found this rubber stamp of a Cupid. I also finished off my yarn holder with some needle holes and yarn holder path. The second and third pictures are of the yarn holder and ring holder I started yesterday. Today I trimmed the bottom and added earring holes around the edge. There is a bunch of stuff in the kiln which is being fired to cone 04 today. Then I’ll be able to glaze, fire, and show off a bunch of finished work.